NYS Museum: Extorier and Interior



The NYS Museum is right in the heart of the city of Albany. Its a very Urban environment with beautiful city buildings all around it. It is very a grand and not at all modest. It is technically in the Empire State Plaza, where other municipal buildings are and The Egg. Even though is was technically in the city, there was beautiful landscaping and a small park nearby. The architecture of the building itself is very interesting. It is more of a modern but simplistic design, completely made out of concrete. There are big glass windows and doors right in the front of the building and archways for your to walk under to get to the doors. I couldn't get a good picture of the building myself because of the location, but I did get a few of the city surrounding it. Also, while googling a picture of the outside there seems to be a nice fountain outside the building, with a modern and abstract sculpture in the middle of it, but sadly I didn't get to see that myself when I went in the entrance I did.

The interior building of the Museum was actually a little confusing, and I did get lost a few times. There were a lot of wings and hallways that just seem to bring you to a whole new part of the building, that somehow the connected to something you've already seen. It seemed to be organized by having the staple parts of them museum when you first walk in and to the right, and then the exhibits that changed were in the back and off to the left. Once you got to the art and history exhibits, there didn't seem to be a specific organization plan. The wall color did change, depending on what exhibit you were in. The floor material though however, was pretty much the same boring carpet, which kind of took away from the grand feeling I got while outside the building. It kind of made it feel like an office building. I bet without the art pieces and natural history exhibits, the interior would be boring, cold, and impersonal, but I was focused a lot more of the pieces itself, rather than the interior design.

Comments