NYS Museum Exhibit: Black Capitial, Harlem in the 1920s








The exhibit I chose to really take my time in was called Black Capital: Harlem in the 1920s. I chose this exhibit because I knew there weren't just art pieces displayed, but also personal stories of pain and struggling for civil rights, and a lot of history. This was also the time period of Jazz music, and a lot of liveliness and excitement.

This is an ongoing collection of art that the Museum has made a permanent exhibition, which I am very happy about. There are a lot about natural aspects and materials of NYS displayed, and even animals, but I think showing how far we have come as a society, is just as important. I really wish I knew more about where the museum acquired the art, how it was all collected, and where it all came from, but while I was at the museum, there weren't many museum workers, besides security guards, for me to ask all of the questions I had, which was one major downsides of this museum. I did visit their website but unfortunately, there wasn't any background information like I was told there would be. I could've chosen another exhibit to do, but this one truly did interest me the most .

To me, certain parts of the exhibit seemed happy, uplifting, and almost simple. Other times, you could tell it was serious and about important subjects. The objects were mostly just pictures on the walls, objects in glass cases, or sculptures hanging on the wall or free standing. The exhibit itself was nicely organized, it flowed easily and was nice to go from one thing to the next. The cards explaining the works of art were few and far between. For the important pieces, they did have cards and they were very in depth and informative.

I did include a few pictures, but one thing I wish I did was take more. I was just focused on taking notes and looking and examining everything. The first picture I did get from google, but I did want to show a better picture of the exhibit itself and how it is organized.








Comments

Popular Posts